Thursday, November 4, 2010

DC Day Trip: Skyline Drive

A couple weeks back, I decided it would be fun to take advantage of the beautiful fall season here on the East Coast & go to Skyline Drive. It's actually part of Shenendoah National Park in Virginia. It took the three of us (Sebastien, Tobias, & myself) about 2 hours to get there from DC, but that included us getting lost...oops! It should probably take about 1.5 or so.

It costs $15 to take the 1.5 drive down Skyline - something I wasn't aware of until we got there...
This was our first attempt at a family picture on the mountain

A fellow traveler offered to take it for us

We brought a picnic in the fabulous picnic backpack/basket Isa gave me for Christmas last year, but there weren't really any places to picnic except giant areas in the forest where you couldn't see the pretty views. Even though we were STARVING, I didn't want to stop there. We drove about 30 miles in & found a spot at an observation spot that seemed to be big enough to set up a picnic.


We had stopped at the Farmer's Market in DuPont earlier that day & gotten some cranberry pecan bread & a couple jars of jam that we wanted to try :) YUMMY!!

Notice Tobias is wearing his Texans bandana b/c they had a big game that day! 
Sebastien is on this picnic because the game was not on TV :)

I went to Skyline Drive when I was little & living in Va, & I just remember the trees being SO beautiful! I kind of jumped the gun going so early into Fall this time though. The trees hadn't really changed that much, so while the view was really pretty, it wasn't the full "Skyline Drive Effect" that I had hoped for.
My mountain version of the "feet on the beach" picture

So as you can see, it's pretty but there aren't a whole lot of colors going on. Maybe we'll get to go another time this month! Fall trees changing is one of my FAVORITE things, so I want to be sure I take full advantage while I'm in a place where they actually change!!

XOXO,

1 comment:

  1. is this the shenandoah valley? thats where my fb pics are:) so beautiful! miss you.. So excited about Thanksgiving!!! love you... and your blog:)

    ReplyDelete