Thursday, November 18, 2010

Antique Shopping

Moving has been ... interesting. I don't necessarily have a smaller apartment, but the space is definitely laid out differently. I went from having a bathroom with 2 sinks & TONS of counter/cabinet space, to having a bathroom with a pedestal sink & a medicine cabinet. Don't get me wrong, my bathroom here is ADORABLE! We even have original black & white tiles :)

However, less counter and storage space means I can't really get ready in my bathroom. Problem? Mom will fix it! Now I just get ready at my desk! Great plan!

Oh but wait... my desk only has 2 drawers, so where can I keep all my desk stuff if I have to keep my make up & hair stuff in there too? Problem? Mom will fix it! "Get a new desk!" Easy enough.

So when Mom came to town, we decided to go to some antique shops in search of a keyhole desk because they have drawers down both sides. Sounds simple (& FUN!), but it wasn't so simple... and not so fun after awhile :( 

We looked all on Craigslist (eh), but I really wanted to have the fun of finding it at an antique store! So we went to Alexandria, VA - unsuccessful. It was a cute town for sure but didn't have what we were looking for...buuuuut it did have 2 GORGEOUS lamps & a mahogany planter for Mom! Yay!

The next day we went to Fredericksburg, VA - unsuccessful. Again, a cute town but didn't have what we wanted...except a cute "arrow" that sticks out from the wall with cute, festive wooden things hanging off of it! (For me) It's way cuter than it sounds.

We were having trouble finding any keyholes desks let alone ones that we liked. So...we went to Lucketts.

Yes, Lucketts, VA. The name alone says WINNER! Haha. But it was the BEST place for antiques. We actually came across this antique place on the way to Lucketts from Fredericksburg. Check it out! You will see why we had to make a Uturn!


Isn't it fabulous?? I was completely in love when we got inside & KNEW this is where I would find my desk. SUCCESS!! It was a type of store where a few different vendors rented out a space & displayed their pieces. Here is some of what they had downstairs:






OMG - LOVE LOVE LOVE. Seeing these pictures makes me wants to go back. There are so many treasures to be found in places like these. There was a whole upstairs too!

 I actually didn't take any pictures when we got to Lucketts because we were in a HUGE hurry to beat the closing time clock, but I ended up getting an awesome shelf at one of the stores there. It sits a little crooked, but I believe it was the top of a different piece of furniture. It's really different, and I LOVE it so much. Pictures of that later - still have to repaint it. 

Pictures of the desk later too because it went under a renovation! Just wanted to share some great places to go antique shopping and remind everyone of how much more fun it is to find a really special piece & change it to make it exactly what you want. Thanks for reminding me of that, Momma!!

XOXO,

No comments:

Post a Comment