Thursday, February 3, 2011

Snickerdoodles

I hadn't baked in a while, so by request of BBE, I made Snickerdoodles! Just the name is so fun, right? I usually think these cookies are kind of boring, but since it was a request I complied :) I did some searching around in my cookbooks and on some different websites to find a good recipe. The one I decided on is on one of the cooking blogs I really love - {Lovin From the Oven.} Not only have I really liked all the recipes I tried from this blog, but what drew me to this particular recipe is that it was kind of revamped to where she tried others & combined them to make this one great! All the work is done :)

So from her to me to you guys, Snickerdoodles that are sure to delight!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

For rolling:

  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions

1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars with
an electric mixer on high speed. Add the egg and vanilla and
beat until smooth.

2. In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and
cream of tartar.

3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix well.

4. Preheat oven to 300 degrees while you let the dough rest for
30 to 60 minutes in the refrigerator.
     **I left the dough in the fridge for about an hour, & it was still pretty sticky. I don't know if leaving it even longer would do anything though

5. In a small bowl, combine the sugar with the cinnamon for the
topping.

6. Take about 2 1/2 tablespoons of the dough and roll it into a
ball. Roll this dough in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and press it
onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat for the remaining cookies.

7. Bake the cookies for 12 to 14 minutes and no more. The cookies
may seem undercooked, but will continue to develop after they are
removed from the oven. When the cookies have cooled they should be
soft and chewy in the middle.
      **I baked the first batch just like she said in her recipe (for 12 minutes to be safe!), but they were too mushy. I put them in for 2 more minutes but still not happy with how they turned out. The second  batch I baked at 325 for 13 minutes - perfect! Could just be an oven thing, but 14 minutes at 300 left them too mushy & they didn't continue cooking afterwards enough for my liking! {Picture below}

Makes about 16 cookies.

These are the first batch right when they came out

This is after they had been sitting a while. You can see they're kind of flat
Left = First Batch, Right = Second Batch
Second Batch is thicker & overall better :)

The reason for so many pictures?? I know everyone knows what batter looks like when you mix it...but I got a new camera for Christmas! So, yes I do take every opportunity I can to use it :)

Enjoy these yummy Snickerdoodles!!

XOXO,
Ashley




No comments:

Post a Comment