Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Fall Recipe - Apple Pie

Some where along the way, apple pie has become my signature dish for all family gatherings. I don't really have a consistent recipe that I follow, but it always turns out yummy! I need to start adding in more of my own touches, but here's what I did for this Thanksgiving in Richmond with my long time friends :)

Crust Ingredients:
* I make more crust than it says to because when I "weave" I seem to need more for some reason - could it be that I eat it?? Possibly. So this is the Deep Dish Double Crust instructions
2 2/3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 stick (or 1 cup) WELL CHILLED Crisco All Vegetable shortening
6-10 Tbs ice cold water

Instructions:
1. Blend flour & salt in medium bowl.
2. Cut the stick into cubes (about 1/2 inch) and cut it into the mixture until it's all mixed with some small pea-sized pieces remaining.
3. Add about half the recommended Tbs of water & mix around with a fork. Add water by Tbs until the dough is moist enough to stick together.
4. Eat some.
    **Some people may find step 4 unnecessary and kind of gross. I assure you it's necessary & delicious!
5. Divide into 2 balls & roll them out. I use wax paper instead of a floured surface because it works better & it's MUCH cleaner!
6. One goes in the bottom of your pie pan (duh!)
7. Keep the other ball cold while you prepare the filling!


Filling Ingredients:
6 apples, peeled & sliced
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbs flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbs lemon juice

Directions:
1. Peel & slice the apples. I like to make a game out of it - can I peel the apple in ONE try? [Think Meg Ryan in Sleepless in Seattle] Try #1 was SO close, but I got it on try #2!! So proud of myself :)

Try 1

Try 2 - success!!

2. Mix together the sliced apples & all ingredients in a large bowl until the apples are covered. Pour them on top of the pie crust & try to arrange them so they're kind of level.




3. Roll out remaining dough & cut it into strips for weaving. This takes some trial & error to get it right. 
 **My tips: don't roll it too thin or it will be hard to rearrange once it's on the pie. You can kind of see in the picture below they way I've found it easiest to weave - lay all the horizontal strips down and then fold them over as necessary to add the vertical strips. The dough definitely needs to be cold! 

The horizontal strips on the left are folded up so I can put a vertical strip down

Ready to bake!

3a. I always add extra butter to the top of the crust too. I melt about 1 Tbs of butter and pour it over the crust so it gets in the holes. Butter just makes everything better!

4. Put in the oven at 425 for about 45 minutes. 

On display at Pam's, yummy!

If you have any tips for an apple pie recipe, let me know! Always looking for ways to make it better :)
XOXO,

2 comments:

  1. Mmm...apple pie is my favorite =)

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part of apple pie is the crust! I will definitely try out your recipe :) I love apple pie with a piece of sharp cheddar cheese...learned it from my Grandpa! Added you to my google reader...can't wait to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete