Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fall Recipe - Pumpkin Bread

So I have decided that I love cooking & baking - who would have thought?? I am a little timid still about trying to put my own spin on recipes, but I've been forced to do just that a few times recently because I don't want to go buy a whole bottle of something to use for just a tsp. ANYWAY. I thought I'd share some recipes that I've been trying!

The cold weather we've been having here in DC just screams for pumpkin bread! My mom gave me a recipe box when I moved, but alas no pumpkin bread recipe! I was forced to google it. Anyway. I found a lot of good ones, but this one seemed the most unhealthy, so I thought it probably tasted the best! Haha. I was right! Delicious :)

Enjoy!

Pumpkin Bread: (Yields - 2 medium loaves)

Ingredients
3 cups flour
1 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter, half melted
3 eggs
16 oz pure pumpkin (1 can)

Also, I decided to add in some pecans to one loaf (since it makes two - just in case it wasn't good!) But it is DELICIOUS! I had some left-over pecans from when I made some muffins (recipe to come later - AMAZING!), but I would guess it was about 1/2 or so.

Below are the directions with my own add-ins denoted by a *

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray loaf pans with non-stick cooking spray.
      * Umm...why don't they ever just say PAM! Everyone uses pam or knows what it is. It's easier to    
       say.
2. Combine flour, spices, salt, baking powder, baking soda in medium bowl, set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the wire whisk attached, dump in the sugar. Take the butter and put it in the microwave for about 30 seconds, so that it's half melted. Dump it into the sugar. Add the eggs. Cream these three ingredients together on medium speed for about 2 minutes or until fluffy. Add the pumpkin and combine well.
     *I don't believe in a woman getting a stand mixer until she's married. Not quite sure where that notion started, but I'm sticking to it - hence, no mixer for me. So here's how I altered those directions:
      - But the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt it. Dump the sugar in THAT bowl (too hard to get melted butter out of a bowl - duh!). Add the eggs. Mix it together with a fork (nope, don't have a whisk either) until your arm hurts. Switch arms. Switch arms one last time. Ask your friend (Michelle!) what "fluffy" is supposed to look like. Stir it a little more. You're done with that part! Add the pumpkin. Stir some more.
4. In three batches, add the dry ingredients and mix gently until each batch is just incorporated. Scrape the sides between each batch.
5. Pour half the batter into one of the prepared pans. 
   * For the next loaf, I added the pecans! Chopped them up fairly well & mixed them into the batter, then dumped the rest in the remaining pan.
6. Bake side by side for about an hour or until a knife comes out clean.
    * Our oven, though not as old as our apartment, doesn't restrain itself to the set temperatures of what it's knob says. It likes to be more free. While I support this, it makes it hard to cook. I must have cooked my bread for 1.5 hours and it is still not quite what I wanted it to be. However, I did enjoy licking the knife every time it came out with batter on it! YUM!


Here are my creations. You can see which one we like best - pecans! Duh. 
Enjoy! 

**Tip: Just a little precaution - tsp = teaspoon. Tbs = tablespoon. I wouldn't want you to make the same mistake I made when I was younger that I can never live down - my Salt Block Chocolate Chip Cookies, as my brother so lovingly named them. Gross! Happy Baking :)
xoxo



1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious!!!! So when are you gonna come over and make Boomer and I some? Yuummmmm!

    ReplyDelete